Our Weekend in Trieste

So last weekend, Ramin and I decided to get away from Venice for the weekend and headed to Trieste, a port town on the Eastern border of Italy. We arrived Friday night via train, found our hotel, walked around a bit and turned in early. 

Saturday morning, we met up with a group of students traveling to Trieste for the day and made our way to the Miramare Castle. It was about a 5 mile walk down the shore along Trieste’s sandless beaches. We stopped halfway to grab some lunch at Trattoria Pescaria, where everyone (but myself) had really great seafood (#FishAreFriendsNotFood). When we finally arrived at the castle it was raining a bit, but we were still super pumped. The views were absolutely amazing. It was surrounded by water on three sides, and the grounds consisted of beautiful gardens. Ramin and I stayed a bit longer than the rest of the group, then took a bus back, stopping midway to visit the Vittoria Lighthouse. We climbed up the hill, then up the lighthouse and the views were insane - it was a 360 of all of Trieste. 

Ramin and I made our way back to our hotel, changed out of our sweaty clothing, and then headed out to dinner. The entire city was absolutely INSANE. There were hundreds of thousands of people everywhere. It was a city wide party. Music and people everywhere. We grabbed some pasta near the main square and then joined the party for a bit (I even got a free hat). On our way home, we stopped for gelato and it was the best gelato I’ve ever had ever…I’m not even sure what flavor it was but it was delicious.

The next morning, we hopped on a bus and headed to the Grotta Gigante, the largest public cave in the world. It was about a 30 min bus ride, up the mountain….it wasn’t the best bus ride in the world to say the least. However, it was totally worth it. The cave was incredible. I expected a small, little, claustrophobic cave but it was massive. No pictures or videos can do it justice. It was about a 500 step climb down and then 500 back up.

That afternoon we headed back to the train station, hopped on the 3:30 train and was back on the island two hours later!